Re: bootlogd

Hello Colin,

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 13:32, Colin Cotter wrote:
>     I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I
> would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get
> bootlogd working.
>
> I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when I boot I get
>
> bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor
>
> and the boot log is not written. Does anybody recognise this problem
> or know of a solution?

Just in case - did you google?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bootlogd%3A+ioctl+%28%2Fdev%2Fttyzf%2C+TIOCCONS%29%3A+Bad+file+descriptor

Seems that the same error was once reported last year:

-----------------

Niels L. Ellegaard	May 4 2004, 11:40 pm
Newsgroups: linux.debian.user
From: gna...@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard) -
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 00:40:06 +0200
Subject: Re: bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miqu...@cistron.nl> writes:

> > bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor
> Looks like something is not well with /dev/ttyzf. Is it present?
> Are you using 'udev' ?

It turned out that I was using udev 0.021. I upgraded to
0.024(testing),  and my bootlog started working.  Thanks for
the advice

HTH,

   Christian