Re: Intel ipw2200 firmware strangeness

Alexandre Rossi wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop and I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 on it with the
latest kernel 2.6.14.2. The laptop is a MSI megabook s260 with the
centrino plattform and a Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG (rev 05) wlan card.
My computer detects the card just fine, but it loads the wrong firmware.
I get this when i boot the computer up:

/ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
/
So, I thought that it would work fine if I just installed a new firmware
(ipw-2.3) and placed it in /lib/hotplug/firmware/ but the 2.3-firmware
obiously doesn't load.

Kernel 2.6.14 includes an old version (1.0.0) of the ipw2200 driver
that searches for the 2.2 version of the firmware. Either use the
external module or 2.6.15-rc2 if you want a new version of the driver
(and WPA-PSK encryption for example).

So my question is; where should i put the firmware so that hotplug can
load it properly?

I put it in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ as said in the installation
guide[1] and it works ok (I use Debian). Check your hotplug scripts.
But anyway, doesn't ubuntu 5.10 support this wireless card out of the
box? A friend of mine told me he had Wifi connectivity during the
installation process...

[1] http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL section 10
Problem solved now.

I downloaded and installed 2.6.15-rc1 and installad the ipw-2.4 firmware into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and now everything works fine! I can really recommend this laptop! It's really linux-firendly.