Re: Order of loading wired/wireless driver modules in unstable

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 02:54:15PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> >[Please CC to me, I'm not on list]
> >

> Please don't do this.
>
> *I* feel bad when I join a list for the sole purpose of asking a
> question, knowing that I'm going to unsubscribe as soon as I get my
> answer. But you won't even bother to join and sample the list traffic
> for a few days? I consider that very disrespectful... as though you
> consider us to be your personal tech support staff.

Well.. I'm already on too many lists, and try to avoid joining more lists..
Hopefully you can understand me.

> Nevertheless, I'll answer your question *and* CC you.

Big thanks!

> >For a long time, my debian unstable laptop loaded wlan driver before wired
> >lan driver.. couple of weeks ago the order was reversed, wired lan drivers
> >were loaded before wlan.
> >

> The order that they're loaded in used to only matter because the names
> we assigned sequentially (eth0, eth1, etc.). Now, with udev, it appears
> that you can name your interfaces anything you want. You could name your
> wireless interface "my_favorite_eth", I suppose.
>
> With this flexibility in naming the interfaces, the load order shouldn't
> matter anymore.
>
> The best section I've found regarding renaming interfaces is at:
>   http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-iface
>
> but I haven't had a chance to try it to see if it works.

OK.. I'll check that.

There seems to be already "ifrename" package available..

> >And in fact my system now loads 2 different wlan drivers for the same
> >card, orinoco_pci and hostap_pci.. how can I disable the other? I tried to
> >add it to skip list of discover, but it didn't help..
> >

> Hmmm. This same question was asked on this very list earlier today. But
> then, you're not on the list, so you wouldn't know that.
>
> One of the changes listed with the new udev packages reads:
>    + /etc/hotplug/blacklist*: must be replaced by modprobe
> configuration directives.
>
> Supposedly, you can prevent modprobe from loading a module by adding a
> file to /etc/modprobe.d which contains:
>
>  alias drivername off
>
> So, you could create a file like "/etc/modprobe.d/blockhostap" which
> contains:
>
>   alias hostap_pci off

Thanks! I'll try this.

> >Is there tutorial/documents somewhere how loading of drivers is handled in
> >Debian nowadays?
> >

> I haven't seen one. However, it appears that udev handles all
> hot/cold-plugging now, and that it uses modprobe to actually do the
>
> So, udev handles finding the actual hardware and deciding which drivers
> need loading *AND* deciding what names they are assigned in /dev (read
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html).
> Modprobe handles actually loading the module and any other modules that
> it depends upon.

OK. So discover1 is obsolete nowaways? udev + modprobe.d do all the magic?

[Please CC replies to me]

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .