Re: 16 mb problem

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 16:52 -0500, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Did anybody actually tried to *work* with X-Window on 16MB RAM?

Yes, I have a Toshiba Libretto 70CT (Pentium 120MHz MMX) and I was
running Woody with Gnome on 32MB RAM..
The RAM board connector started to have problems and I had to remove
it.. It has now only the 16MB onboard RAM, (actually 14MB, 2MB are used
for video).
Since then I upgraded do sarge and I'm now using X with blackbox..

One thing that I use a lot is to run a vncserver on my server machine
with 640x480 and start X with no window manager but a vncviewer on
fullscreen.. It's great! ..

I have a HD with 15GB on my libby and Sange is using about 4,5GB.. The
problem is when I run dpkg or apt-get .. It became too hard to process
the package DB .. I have to exit X to do package management.. The more
packages you have installed, the bigger is the DB and more RAM will be
needed..

And I'm still looking for a new 16MB RAM board to put back on my old
libby..

--

[]
JA Tavares