Re: Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

On October 19, 2005 02:17 am, Frank wrote:
> I don't believe you have to use anything besides what wireless-tools
> provides for every card.
> I am using WPA with my ralink based card with the following entry
> in /etc/network/interfaces:

> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>         pre-up ifconfig eth1 up
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set EncrypType=TKIP
>         pre-up iwconfig eth1 essid "youressid"
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set WPAPSK="yourkey"

> I don't even have wpa_supplicant installed.
> If you need any additional info, just ask.

Interesting.  What's the iwpriv command?  It's not present on my unstable
system.  But, then, I don't use any of the wireless tools, so it's
probably part of that package.  :)

I prefer the wpa_supplicant approach, as I can then treat my wireless and
wired interfaces the same, using the same ifconfig/dhclient commands.
Don't have to worry about any iwpriv commands, setting the ssid, keys,
etc.  And wpa_supplicant.conf supports multiple network configs (mine
currently has 5 networks in there, so I can connect to the library,
coffee shops, home, or office wireless networks without any extra work),
where it will connect to the first AP that matches one of the network
blocks (with a user priority setting if there are multiple matches).

TMTOWTDI, I guess.  :)

The really nice thing about wpa_supplicant, is that I get all the benfits
of the bazillion different wireless profile managers out there, but with
full WEP and WPA support (haven't found any that support WPA), and only a
single text file to edit (no GUI needed).  :)  And it's portable across
Linux and FreeBSD, which is a major boon to me, being a FreeBSD user at
heart and at home (I only use Debian because of work).  Plus, it works
with any WPA-enabled NIC.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]