suspend problems

Hello all,

I've got Acer Travelmate 4050-series laptop (don't remember the
exact model, I can check it later if it's important). It works quite
well with Debian, the only problem is suspend/resume function, which
is annoying because the system takes ages to boot (I'm using KDE and
lots of daemons and I need them). What I got now is:
- standby works, but the machine takes too much power in this mode so
  it's not much use,
- suspend to RAM works - but resume doesn't, the screen stays blank,
  the HDD becomes very busy, the keyboard doesn't work (even the special
  keys) and I have to poweroff the machine to get it back to a usable
  state,
- suspend to disk doesn't work at all.
Anything I can do about it? I heard that some modules cause problems
with suspend and they should be unloaded, then loaded back, there are
some scripts for that. Where do I put these scripts and which modules
might be problematic?

I tried with Debian kernels (different versions). I can compile my own,
but I'd rather avoid it.

Igor Wawrzyniak