laptop sendmail

Dear list

   This isn't exclusively laptop related but has arisen precisely because my laptop is portable. It is also probably fairly trivial so please point me to a web page that explains this stuff -- I have Googled fairly extensively though.

My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their domain, so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email address so I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting mail server bounces back my email because it says it is from localhost.localdomain which is a very good indication that I am sending spam.

Does anybody have any experience of how to fix things so this will work?

best wishes

--Colin

--
http://www.gloworms.org.uk