Re: laptop sendmail

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Colin Cotter wrote:

My work doesn't give access to their smtp server from outside their domain,
so I decided to set up sendmail on my machine with my work email address so
I can send messages from home. However, any self-respecting mail server
bounces back my email because it says it is from localhost.localdomain which
is a very good indication that I am sending spam.

A fairly common problem these days - especially for laptops.

If you always wish to send mail from one account (ie, work) - a VPN is
the safest solution; that way you avoid SPF and other spam detection
issues.

Another approach, that I use on my laptops, is to use the Debian
sendmail hooks for ifup/ifdown (via dhcp/ppp) to customize the sendmail
configuration based upon what network you attach to.

I have the following connection profiles setup:
	/etc/mail/peers/ibm.com -- when at work (send via work smarthost)
	/etc/mail/peers/cavein.org -- when at home (send via home smarthost)
	/etc/mail/peers/dslextreme.com -- fallback to ISP smarthost
	/etc/mail/peers/default -- traveling, use my home smarthost via 587

The profiles do thinks like:
	* set smarthost
	* set domain to masquerade as
	* set hostname to use

When eth0 comes up, it updates my caching DNS, sendmail, restarts
fetchmail, etc.

the support is enabled via these two .m4 files:
	include(`/etc/mail/m4/dialup.m4')dnl
	include(`/etc/mail/m4/provider.m4')dnl

Let me know if you need further information or have problems using
this support.
--
Rick Nelson
"Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX."