Re: CDROM problem!

Marc,
I think the simplest way (I Guess) is
Go to the kernel source
#make menuconfig
Load the the default .config file int /boot/<file>
Save it
#make
#make modules
#make modules_install

copy the bzImage to /boot/<file> and then edit grub menu.lst.

It worked for me.

marc wrote:

Arlindo Sierra Neto said...
marc wrote:
Arlindo Sierra Neto said...

I followed this steps

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-270763.html

My cdrom worked fine.
The problem is that I have to install debian with kernel 2.4 and then compile an 2.6 kernel with the modification in libata.h

It workerd for me.
Excellent. Could you tell me which kernel you compiled, please. I'm just downloading 2.6.12-1 to compile, since that is the latest in testing/etch and hence has a condig file available.

Would it be possible to 'borrow' your config file, please? (Plse email if it's okay.)

This is my first kernel compile, so I just wanted to check that I'm starting with the right source. Thanks.

Marc,
When you install a Debian kernel package, there is a config file in /boot/config-2.6.xx

If you don't find one I'll send you mine. I'm running on kernel 2.6.13.1

Okay, my latest update.

I'm compiling 2.6.12.1 downloaded from www.kernel.org. I have not applied the suggested patch to ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI yet, because I want to first ensure that the kernel I compile falls over in the same way as the deb version, before continuing.

For my first try, I took /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 into menuconfig, changed nothing, but saved the result as the default (/usr/src/linux-
2.6.12.1/.config).

# first question: Is menuconfig the appropriate/best tool for this job?

This kernel compiled okay. I deb'd it, and installed. This locked up on boot as expected. Excellent!

I applied acpi=off to the grub line, rebooted. This tried to boot, but the error I received was different to the deb 2.6.12.1 error. I didn't write it down, but it was failing to mount root - which is kinda terminal.

Suspecting the configs, I noticed that the original (from /boot/) and the "supposedly" unchanged version produced by menuconfig were different sizes. A compare confirmed this. Only about seven or eight differences, but one is enough.

Should this happen? It's easy to repeat.

Onward.

Next, I simply copied /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 to /usr/src/linux-
2.6.12.1/.config. I then ran
# make-kpkg clean
# fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version marc kernel_image

This stops with:
PNP EIDE support (BLK_DEV_IDEPNP) [N/y/?] (NEW)

awaiting input.

Two questions:
- Shouldn't this compile?
- What do you suggest I answer in response to the idling script?

I'm compiling this under 2.4.27-2 on stable.

Is stable an issue when compiling this kernel, which is in testing?

I carried on running the script for a bit, entering essentially random responses. There seem to be an awful lot of interruptions. So, now I'm puzzled. Whatever menuconfig did to the original config file avoided these halts to the compile. That's a good thing. But then, why doesn't the "clean" config file compile without the interruptions?

I could ask a few more things, but hopefully that's enough for someone to slap me for a stupid mistake and get me rolling... or at least staggering forward.