Re: Moving from XFree to xorg with Debian sid

Bob Alexander wrote:
> Is upgrading from 3.3 to 3.4.1 in an etch environment known to be safe ?
> I'd hate to breaks things again now that they appear to be smooth but I
> also read of interesting improvements amongst which speed improvements
> with 3.4

I don't know---it Works For Me(TM) and I haven't heard much complaints about
that, but that's all what I can tell (I am not a programmer either---just a
confused sleepy sociologist who tries to write his dissertation).

> If I understand your reply to Luca, the 3.4 in experimental are compiled
> with gcc > 3.3. Sorry for the non-programmer question but what problems
> would that imply ?

IANAP, so the computer is not a goal for me, but just a mean how to do
something. Therefore, my policy is that I use packages only from testing
(stable is unfortunately too stable for me :-)) and I do not want to fiddle
with unstable and even less experimental packages (I spent too much time
with Linux already). As far as I understand (and again IANAP) C++ libraries
and programs compiled with gcc 3.* and gcc 4.* are mutually incompatible.
Therefore, I would be afraid that by downloading KDE (and whatever it
depends upon) from unstable or experimental you would get effectively half
of your computer into unstable. And unstable is---well, unstable (this is
very loaded issue, but by following just this NG, it seems to me that it is
actually unstable a lot; I've heard that testing has a tendency to be
sometimes broken as well and then the situation is even worse than with
unstable, because it takes much more time to fix it, but it has not
happened to me so far). YMMV, of course.

Best,

        Matej

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man
I know.
      -- Abraham Lincoln