Re: Best "network manager"

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 14:34 +0200, Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen wrote:

> > apt-cache search laptop|sort
> >
> > dpkg -p divine
> > dpkg -p ifplugd
> > dpkg -p intuitively
> > dpkg -p laptop-net
> > dpkg -p laptop-netconf
> > dpkg -p whereami
> Ok, so i've reinvented the wheel :-)
>
> Before i started laptop-location i was hoping to find something that
> could be tied to dbus in some way. If it would send dbus messages it
> should be possible to have other programs react to the dbus message.
>
> For example, when i connect to an unknown network, a dialog box pops up
> and i get to define it using a nice graphical user interface.
>
> But i'm still waiting to see what Red Hat manages to come up with in
> their network-manager tool.

Yes, gnome-network-manager looks to be the right sort of architecture to
handle this properly.  I'm waiting for it to arrive in Debian as yet.

Once it's in Debian I expect it will be a good starting point for
developing something smarter and more automated - the one I've tried
(admittedly some time ago) only seemed to allow for _interactive_ choice
of networks, which sucks...

I'm sure it could be enhanced fairly easily to allow some training to
automatically select networks in a preferred order (wired before
wireless, etc).  I suspect the Gnome team would not support complex
scripting though, so allowing for script execution related to selected
network will probably require forking.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267