Re: Best "network manager"

ons, 20 07 2005 kl. 11:24 +1000, skrev Russell Shaw:
> > I don't want to blow my own horn (well actually i do, but i'm not
> > flexible enough :-)
> >
> > I have written a tool to take care of this called laptop-location:
> > http://halfdans.net/wiki.py/LaptopLocation
> >
> > It identifies the current laptop-location using some identifiers (for
> > now only grep is implemented e.g., grep /etc/resolv.conf cs.aau.dk) -
> > and then executes actions based on which location was detected.
> >
> > Is has support for both system and user actions.
> >
> > I use it to setup the proxy according to where i am, and also to switch
> > between different X configuration files, since i have two monitors at
> > home (well one additional to the one on the laptop).
> >
> > Debian packages are available from:
> > deb http://dev.infonet.dk/debian unstable .
>
> apt-cache search laptop|sort
>
> dpkg -p divine
> dpkg -p ifplugd
> dpkg -p intuitively
> dpkg -p laptop-net
> dpkg -p laptop-netconf
> dpkg -p whereami
Ok, so i've reinvented the wheel :-)

Before i started laptop-location i was hoping to find something that
could be tied to dbus in some way. If it would send dbus messages it
should be possible to have other programs react to the dbus message.

For example, when i connect to an unknown network, a dialog box pops up
and i get to define it using a nice graphical user interface.

But i'm still waiting to see what Red Hat manages to come up with in
their network-manager tool.

Just my 5 (euro) cents.

--
Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@halfdans.net>