Re: Best "network manager"

Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen wrote:
tir, 19 07 2005 kl. 08:57 -0700, skrev Bill Moseley:

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:47:55AM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:

For your wireless one, you'll use either waproamd or wpa_supplicant.

When I'm away from my home lan I create an ssh tunnel from localhost
port 2525 to port 25 on my mail machine so sending mail still works.
That also means I have to update my exim.conf file's smarthost setting
to deliver all mail to localhost:2525.

Is anyone doing something in a similar way, yet automated -- or
perhaps has a better suggestion?  I haven't looked at it yet, but I
suppose SMTP AUTH or some other authentication method would be less
work when connecting from different locations.

I don't want to blow my own horn (well actually i do, but i'm not
flexible enough :-)

I have written a tool to take care of this called laptop-location:
http://halfdans.net/wiki.py/LaptopLocation

It identifies the current laptop-location using some identifiers (for
now only grep is implemented e.g., grep /etc/resolv.conf cs.aau.dk) -
and then executes actions based on which location was detected.

Is has support for both system and user actions.

I use it to setup the proxy according to where i am, and also to switch
between different X configuration files, since i have two monitors at
home (well one additional to the one on the laptop).

Debian packages are available from:
deb http://dev.infonet.dk/debian unstable .

apt-cache search laptop|sort

dpkg -p divine