Re: Best "network manager"

Vincent Bernat wrote:

I  would like  to determine  what is  the `best'  network  manager for
beginners that  need to handle both  a wireless connection  and a wire
one. What I seek is something like what is done in Mac OS X :
- if the  network cable  is plugged/unplugged,  the wire  network is
  configured/deconfigured.
- a tool to choose _and_ configure the wireless network

A first search  lead me to ifplugd for the first  task

Yes, ifplugd is what you'll use for your wired connection.

For your wireless one, you'll use either waproamd or wpa_supplicant. Both are configured in very different ways (so don't expect a graphical config tool for them). wpa_supplicant is newer, and can implement the more-secure WPA encryption in software if your card doesn't support it. Problem is, not all of the drivers support wpa_supplicant, yet.

One nice thing I've noticed about wpa_supplicant (besides supporting software WPA), is that you can define preference levels, for cases where multiple access points are detected. I'm not sure that waproamd does this.

One thing that waproamd does, however, is that it lets you define configurations for access points based upon their hardware addresses. This is *great* when you've got an access point that you want to connect to that's named "linksys". Your laptop will see a lot of AP's named the default "linksys", and you only want your laptop to try to connect if it's that one *particular* "linksys". That's when the hardware address comes in handy. I'm not sure if wpa_supplicant does this, but I'd bet that it can. It's worth looking into.

Overall, I'd try wpa_supplicant first. If that doesn't work, then fall back to waproamd.

Once you decide, let me know and I can help you configure them.

- Joe