Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 23:30 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > Did you try the xfce4-terminal I suggested earlier?
> It isnt a debian package so I didnt. And now I can say, that what a
> fellow user suggested, multi-aterm serves the best so far. Uses now
> under 2MB Ram with several tabs open. That is as good as I could think
> of.

xfce4-terminal is a Debian package, it's just not in stable or testing.
But go to http://packages.debian.org, 'search package directories',
enter 'xfce4-terminal', select 'distribution: any', and you'll find it.

> Yes, the one I torture now. I do not like it that much. I liked KDEs
> konqueror a lot, but resource hungry, and I do not use anything from KDE
> from now on. MC for console is pretty good, but I cannot browse SAMBA
> shares with it. xffm4 lets me do that, so that is a plus for that app. I
> cannot set it to be icon view, and that drives me nuts. I liked holding
> and dragging feature of konqueror, so I miss that.

I read that they are writing a new xfce file manager, but it's only up
to 0.0.2 or something like that, so I don't expect that one to be fully
functional in the near future. I use the gnome stuff, so I'm afraid I
cannot help you out here.

Koen