Re: new debian user trouble with dwl-650 wireless network card

Samuel Díaz García wrote:
Take a look here:
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
I think it can help you.

Andrew McMillan writes:

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 15:44 -0500, Dan Elliott wrote:

Hello,
I am relatively new to Debian. I have Debian Woody installed on an IBM Thinkpad. I have a D-Link DWL-650 wireless ethernet card. I have found information via Google which seems to indicate Woody should support this device. Given that I am new, I am looking for advice on where to begin to find a solution to my problem.

It may, and it may not.  If it's an earlier DWL 650 then it is a Prism
chipset and will work just fine.  For later models they switched to (I
think) the ACX100 chipset, which is poorly supported, although there
appears to be an open-source effort around for it more recently that
might get you going.
Your best starting point is Jean Tourrilhes pages here:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
There is an acx100-source package in Debian, so you should be able to
build the kernel + modules, if that's what you need to do.

Thank you to Samuel, Andrew, and Rod.

According to the pictures found at http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp my wireless card should be one of DWL-650 Rev A1-J3.

Assuming I have surmised the correct Rev, dlink says my card uses the Prism chip set. According to Andrew's post the card should work with the installation as is? That has not been my experience.

Is there a Linux command that could probe for the chip set of this device? Understanding which device drivers are installed and/or loaded is something I know little about (especially with Debian). Where do you suggest I begin looking for the source of my problem.

Many thanks, in advance, for all assistance.

- dan elliott