Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:23:27 +0200
Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > 2.5 MB.

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Okay, I will give it a shot. Can I ask a dumb question? What is the
> > > difference between like KDE and Gnome  and XFCE, which are Desktops,
> > > and like fluxbox, blackbox etc that are Window Managers? I am sure
> > > this is very basic, but I dont know it. When I launch Enlightenment
> > > for example which is a Window Manager, I get pretty  much the same
> > > experience when I launch XFce, which is a desktop. Can somebody
> > > enlighten me?
> >
> > Desktops are supposed to handle the whole desktop experience. That
> > mainly involves having a folder manager integrated with the desktop.
> > The will mean folders on the desktop (such as my documents in windows)
> > and usually it allows to handle all the interface settings such as
> > keyboard switching, so system settings etc.
> >
> > A window manager in theory only handles the windows, providing borders
> > for dragging and resizing, titles and by definition thats it. Most
> > allow for some sort of pannel, either built in or external and a
> > pager.
> >
> > BTW you can add integrated folder manager on the desktop using
> > rox-desktop (I am not sure if there is much more the rox-filer)
> >
> > personally I use X to handle keyboard switching and everything else I
> > usually do directly, if its X startup related, through .xsession.
> >
> > To handle keyboard switching with X you need to set a line for you
> > keyboard section in the x configuration file
> > Option "XkbLayout" "us,il"
> > and the to switch use something like
> > Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
> > which switches keymap by pressing both shift keys and lights the
> > scroll lock light to indicate the second keymap. I think its also
> > possible to use a third keymap this way, but not sure, and its always
> > possible to switch from the command line using xmodmap (which you can
> > always attach in your setup files to some keys)
>
> Hi
>
> I tried what you wrote, and it works like a charm, like you said, except
> I cannot use it for my tasts for some reason. As you may know, Japanese
> has weird characters, and when I put ja,hu in my keymap like you did
> with (us,il), and I boot up, my Japanese one writes characters that
> arent roman letters, but Japanese Katakana letters . WHen I change to
> the other one, Hungarian, it works great. I press the two shift keys,
> and the light comes up and all. Just the default Japanese is messed up.
> When I have only the "ja" in my keymap, then it comes up with Roman
> alphabet, just the layout is Japanese, and I need that because my laptop
> has the Japanese keyboard, with roman letters, but things like @ sign
> are in a different place compare to US keymap, so I use the Japanese.
>
> So my question is, would you happen to know, that when I have only "ja"
> defined, why it works, and when I have "ja,hu" defined, why the Japanese
> starts to show Japanese characters instead of roman characters?

Continuing from my previous email, another thing that may work instead is adding
the line

Option "XkbVariant" "latin,"

to your keyboard section in the XF86Config-4 file

BTW, if another email I sent on this thread got lost (I replied to a sent
message) for light tabbed terminals try multi-aterm and mrxvt(-mini). They are
very similar. multi-aterm has a bit nicer scrollbar that works with the scroll
wheel and color icons, mrxvt looks exectly the same except for monochrome icons
and athena (very simple) scrollbar. I tried mrxvt- mini and it seems very light
(about 1.5M with one tab around 2M with 10). mrxvt seems more stable then
multi-aterm and the tabs seems to behave better (size is more correct and the
second tab in multi-aterm doesn't seem to appear correctly)

I may just switch from screen as it saves a Meg and scrolls better.