Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:23:27 +0200
Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:05:26 +0300
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:22:40 +0200
> > Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:

[...]

> > possible to switch from the command line using xmodmap (which you can
> > always attach in your setup files to some keys)
>
> Hi
>
> I tried what you wrote, and it works like a charm, like you said, except
> I cannot use it for my tasts for some reason. As you may know, Japanese
> has weird characters, and when I put ja,hu in my keymap like you did
> with (us,il), and I boot up, my Japanese one writes characters that
> arent roman letters, but Japanese Katakana letters . WHen I change to
> the other one, Hungarian, it works great. I press the two shift keys,
> and the light comes up and all. Just the default Japanese is messed up.
> When I have only the "ja" in my keymap, then it comes up with Roman
> alphabet, just the layout is Japanese, and I need that because my laptop
> has the Japanese keyboard, with roman letters, but things like @ sign
> are in a different place compare to US keymap, so I use the Japanese.
>
> So my question is, would you happen to know, that when I have only "ja"
> defined, why it works, and when I have "ja,hu" defined, why the Japanese
> starts to show Japanese characters instead of roman characters?

Afraid I don't know. I had a look under /etc/X11/xkb/symbols and it seems I
have two japanese keyboards one called jp and one pc/jp. The first has english
letters as regular letters and letters starting kana for the second (third
level I think) keyboardm the other has only the kana version. seems like a
different keymap is chosen depending on what you enter, not sure why.

you could try backing up /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/ja (or jp as it is here) and
copying /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ja over it and see if that works. If it does then
it gives a direction for further exploring, if not we will have to try
something else (if it works just remember what you did as it will be erased
with the next X upgrade).

> Thanks
>
> Ben

[...]

 This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
 at the Tel-Aviv University CC.