Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:24:50 +0300
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:56:20 +0200
> Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > My project is going fairly well. I have got to the point, that when I
> > boot my laptop, it uses only about 60MB of ram. That is outstanding
> > compare to what it used to use. I learned a lot, and I appreciate all
> > the help.
> >
> > Few more outstanding issues.
> >
> > I still look for a browser that uses less RAM than Firefox, but can
> > display Java, and other things like that.
> >

> I use opera, if you don't mind software thats not open source and gives you
> advertisements or license choice (there is an option for text advertisements
> that take up very little room).
> galeon and epiphany seem to depend heavily on the gnome libraries. I used to
> work with galeon a couple of years ago but it didn't have proper hebrew support
> so I dropped it. I don't know where it stands now.
> Another two options are dillo (no flash, javascript and frames) and
> links-graphic (I think the links2 package in debian is the same thing), I don't
> think it has flash support but its supposed to have frames and javascript
> support. another option I have no experience with is browseX which runs on
> svgalib (console with gui).
>
> > I am looking for a nice FTP client. Not fancy, just capable. I used to
> > use Kbear, but as it starts with a "K", I want to drop it.
> >

> No suggestion here, sorry, I use ftp and wget, occasionaly opera or firefox.
>
> > I am looking for a console that isnt that heavy as Konsole or
> > Gnome-terminal, but has the ability to change the colour and font at
> > least. I use xterm now, and that is fast and all, but it is a bit on the
> > simple side. I cannot open new tabs for example, if I need two sessions,
> > I need to start a second one.
> >

> AFAIK Konsole and Gnome-Terminal (and multi-gnome-terminal) are the only ones
> that have tabs, but at a very hefty memory price.

Just ran into mrxvt and multi-aterm. They are both variation on aterm look
rather similar (multi-aterm has a nicer scroll bar and color on the icon) and
both have tabs.

unfortunately neither can handle hebrew input (they can both show it with the
right font).