Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:56:20 +0200
Benedek Frank <linux@celifornia.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> My project is going fairly well. I have got to the point, that when I
> boot my laptop, it uses only about 60MB of ram. That is outstanding
> compare to what it used to use. I learned a lot, and I appreciate all
> the help.
>
> Few more outstanding issues.
>
> I still look for a browser that uses less RAM than Firefox, but can
> display Java, and other things like that.

I use opera, if you don't mind software thats not open source and gives you
advertisements or license choice (there is an option for text advertisements
that take up very little room).
galeon and epiphany seem to depend heavily on the gnome libraries. I used to
work with galeon a couple of years ago but it didn't have proper hebrew support
so I dropped it. I don't know where it stands now.
Another two options are dillo (no flash, javascript and frames) and
links-graphic (I think the links2 package in debian is the same thing), I don't
think it has flash support but its supposed to have frames and javascript
support. another option I have no experience with is browseX which runs on
svgalib (console with gui).

> I am looking for a nice FTP client. Not fancy, just capable. I used to
> use Kbear, but as it starts with a "K", I want to drop it.

No suggestion here, sorry, I use ftp and wget, occasionaly opera or firefox.

> I am looking for a console that isnt that heavy as Konsole or
> Gnome-terminal, but has the ability to change the colour and font at
> least. I use xterm now, and that is fast and all, but it is a bit on the
> simple side. I cannot open new tabs for example, if I need two sessions,
> I need to start a second one.

AFAIK Konsole and Gnome-Terminal (and multi-gnome-terminal) are the only ones
that have tabs, but at a very hefty memory price.

I use rxvt-unicode-lite which can also handle unicode (and different fonts for
different character sets). It doesn't handle tabs though. I run screen inside
rxvt to handle multiple sessions (behaves like text tabs, but can also handle
other text based programs such as vim and emacs. It can also disconect/reconect
or connect multiple times to the same session, also remotely from ssh etc).

Another option is to use a tabs enables window manager so that you can group
several windows together, without any relation to what they are. Thats what I
did before I moved to screen, but the fvwm version requires perl, which takes
about 15 Megs (which is shared if you also tend to use other perl programs). I
know that there are window managers that support tabs natively, but I'm not
sure which ones.

> A file manager, that isnt very resource hungry, but can connect to SMB
> shares, and has a fairly useful interface.

The console ;-), but seriously. smb is usually handled by the system and not
the file manager. You can use an automounter such as autofs to
automatically mount/unmount smb shares, There are some daemons that should
allow automatically showing removable storage, but I never used them (I also
use autofs for that). There is rox-filer and dfm which are light desktop
solution similar to what kde and gnome do. ytree which is text based, similar
to the dos xtree. I used a few others but never caught on to anything so I
don't remember, sorry.