Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

Also sprach Chris Bannister <mockingbird@ihug.co.nz> (Fri, 24 Jun 2005
23:29:13 +1200):
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 04:23:28PM +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:57:01 +0300
> > Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> [let's do them away, can't read them anyway..]
>
> I was happy with a 386 for a couple of years, and yes its still
> running slink!, but it is soooooo slooooowwww :-) I am building up a
> desktop from scratch based on a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo. So my advice is if
> you are running old hardware *don't* try anything faster because you
> won't like going back to it. :-) I guess when I have my 64bit desktop
> machine finished and running I will need to upgrade my laptop. :-(

don't do that :) i'm currently working on my libretto and get bigger
apps from a lokal server via wlan. the notebook isn't really set up as
terminal, mailclient, dillo, fluxbox,.. and X are all local. work's
perfect for me. it's just a simple '$ ssh -X <there> <app>' or if
encryption/compression kills speed to much:

<snip>
#!/bin/sh
xauth nlist <here>:0 | ssh <there> xauth nmerge -
ssh <there> <app>
</snip>

ok, it's still quite fast with 233mmx/64M :) so if yours is too slow for
that it should be no prob to set it up as a real one and run full speed
apps loged in with xdmcp. you can also get rid of a dead hd by booting
from nfs and get a absolutely useable and quiet x-terminal.

sl ritch