Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 04:23:28PM +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:57:01 +0300
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

[..]
> Yes, I have slypheed now myself too, but I didnt go for the -claws version, as "apt-cache search sylpheed" showed the -clwas version as the "bleeding edge email client", so I went for the regular "sylpheed". It seems a bit old school, but I like it already more than kmail, first it starts fast, second VERY IMPORTANT for me, it allows me to set the amount of days it will delete the messages from the server after it was received. So I am inlove with sylpheed, and I finished looking for email clients. Of course I had a rough half-day of converting maildir to mbox, but I am done with it now, and I imported it successfuly. It is quite good now.

Line wrapping doesn't seem to hot ;-)

> > For the record, my machine comes up with a bit
> > under 30M ram usage running wdm, X, rxvt terminal with a screen session runn

I'm running a mighty 133Mhz Compaq Armada 4130T with a whopping 49M of
RAM on a 1.2GB HD. It suprises me that soon as new technology comes out
all the older machines are considered worthless. OK, the CDROM is
starting to crap out sometimes (have to eject + close few times) and
floppy drive doesn't work. Still got PCMCIA US Robotics Sportster 28,000
card.

I don't use X much, but window maker with abiword when needed. It is a
shame to see good workhorses being used as landfill :-(

> Wow, that is outstanding. I am using 70MB after boot, with all what I have, one xterm session, and the sylpheed open, with X and XFce. That is way better than about 10MB free (now 190MB free) when I used KDE and KDM and all the K***crap. I am happy I started this thread, and I want to thank you all for helping. Of course I still keep looking for good ideas. At the end, I will make a website from what I learnd.

Should set linewidth to approx 72 characters.

I was happy with a 386 for a couple of years, and yes its still running
slink!, but it is soooooo slooooowwww :-) I am building up a desktop
from scratch based on a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo. So my advice is if you are
running old hardware *don't* try anything faster because you won't like
going back to it. :-) I guess when I have my 64bit desktop machine
finished and running I will need to upgrade my laptop. :-(

--
Chris.
======