Re: ifplugd, guessnet, ifscheme, netscript, whereami, ... -- what should I use?

OoO Vers  la fin de  l'après-midi du jeudi  09 juin 2005,  vers 16:01,
Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org> disait:

>> wlan0 (@ my university, my wife's one, Internet cafe) via random DHCP
>> server. I used to use ifupdown-roaming on Debian/woody, but it disappeared.

> You can do similar things with ifplugd, waproamd and guessnet:

>   ifplugd  will ifup your eth0 when a cable is plugged and ifdown it when
>            you remove the cable

>   waproamd (IIRC) will ifup your wlan0 when you associate with an AP and
>            ifdown it when you get out of range

>   guessnet will help you choose the right configuration if you have more
>            than one (see http://guessnet.alioth.debian.org/)

The  main problem  of  those  solutions is  that  they are  "interface
bound". I mean it does not make  sense in most cases to have both eth0
and wlan0 up at the same time.

whereami is a  solution that does not bind a  configuration to a given
interface. However, it is very  slow when you have many configurations
and   ARP-centric.  Moreover,   the  configuration   file   cannot  be
factorized.

I  have   written  a  small   utilities  in  Python  to   solve  those
problems.  However, I  have not  time to  complete it  and it  is just
another solution. It fits well my  needs but it is not well documented
and  you need  to  know Python  (since  the configuration  file is  in
Python). You may retrieve the sources here :

http://ftp.crans.org/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/bernat@luffy.cx--2005-public/ichigo--devo--0
--
I AM NOT MY LONG-LOST TWIN
I AM NOT MY LONG-LOST TWIN