Re: ifplugd, guessnet, ifscheme, netscript, whereami, ... -- what should I use?

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:55:41AM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:

> first of all -- is there FAQ somewhere?

> wlan0 (@ my university, my wife's one, Internet cafe) via random DHCP
> server. I used to use ifupdown-roaming on Debian/woody, but it disappeared.

You can do similar things with ifplugd, waproamd and guessnet:

  ifplugd  will ifup your eth0 when a cable is plugged and ifdown it when
           you remove the cable

  waproamd (IIRC) will ifup your wlan0 when you associate with an AP and
           ifdown it when you get out of range

  guessnet will help you choose the right configuration if you have more
           than one (see http://guessnet.alioth.debian.org/)

> However, I would like to get some scripts which would set exim's smartserver
> to a free SMTP server, etc. Can anybody suggest one (of course, fully
> compatible with ifupdown)?

ifplugd, waproamd and guessnet solve the triggering and the choosing
problems; they don't configuring, though.  I wrote a script which does
what I need, but that area still needs some work.

NetworkManager should do big things, but it's not yet in Debian afaik.

> And why the h...l, maintainers of all these packages didn't set down and did
> not create one package (or at least virtual package), which would just work
> and make all additional settings (like for example setting of mail server)
> via debconf configuration? Why cannot I do
> dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown-laptop
> ?

I think because everyone has different wishes for detection and
reconfiguration: whereami is hard to setup but allows for all sort of
weird setups; guessnet integrates well with ifupdown; others ask you a
question at boot, and so on.

Ciao,

Enrico

--