ifplugd, guessnet, ifscheme, netscript, whereami, ... -- what should I use?

Hi,

first of all -- is there FAQ somewhere?

I have laptop which is mostly connected to the Internet via eth0 and my
small server at home, but I sometimes get connected to the Internet via
wlan0 (@ my university, my wife's one, Internet cafe) via random DHCP
server. I used to use ifupdown-roaming on Debian/woody, but it disappeared.

So far I have this in /etc/network/interfaces (using resolvconf, obviously):

        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet static
            name vysocina
            address 192.168.0.2
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.0.1
            dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1

        iface wlan0 inet dhcp
            name wlan
            pre-up if grep -q ndiswrapper /proc/modules ; \
                then :; else modprobe ndiswrapper; fi

However, I would like to get some scripts which would set exim's smartserver
to a free SMTP server, etc. Can anybody suggest one (of course, fully
compatible with ifupdown)?

And why the h...l, maintainers of all these packages didn't set down and did
not create one package (or at least virtual package), which would just work
and make all additional settings (like for example setting of mail server)
via debconf configuration? Why cannot I do
dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown-laptop
?

Oh well. In meantime, can you suggest which utilities I could use so I do
not have to write everything myself?

        Thanks,

                Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

The world is coming to an end!  Repent and return those library
books!