Re: R4025 Laptop

On 6/5/05, Charlie <aries-tao@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Well done.
>
> Chris Swanson wrote:

> >>Charlie
> >>
> >>Tried both 'noapi' and 'noapic nolapic' with 'vga=788', unfortunately no luck.
> >>
> >>It still hangs up at the keyboard selection menu.
> >>Any other ideas?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>Chris
> >>

> >Got it, thanks again to everyone for the help.  Here's what finally did it:
> >
> >boot:  linux acpi=off vga=788
> >
> >Also, I found it needs a cd that was burned in "disk at once"  mode,
> >if it is not finalized then it won't be able to mount it.
> >
> >Chris
> >

> --
> As to conforming outwardly, and living your own life inwardly, I have not a very high opinion of that course.
> .......................................Henry David Thoreau
>

> --

Thanks Charlie

Yet another update on this situation:

Sadly, the 'acpi=off' was not as successful as I had thought.  It kept
the install from locking up, but then my network interface wouldn't
come up.

The solution:  It turns out that the system is not actually frozen,
just the keyboard.  I found out that you can reset the keyboard driver
by holding the function key and the left shift key together.  After
this, I was able to complete the install.

What annoys me is that I must do this every time I start Linux, in
order to get the keyboard working.  Hopefully, I will soon find a way
to fix this.

Chris