Re: Problem with Vaio touchpad

The alps support patch was added into the kernel, but for some reason hardware
tapping has been disabled. No idea why, possibly because it allows configuring
the touchpad sensitivity (but hurts double clicking a bit) About the only
upside of using the touchpad as an alps is that you can define edge scrolling
(drag your finger up and down along the right side of the touchpad to scroll up
and down and along the bottom to scroll left and right, although right/left
scrolling isn't supported much) and continuous scrolling (where you can start
dragging from a specified corner in circular motion to scroll up and down
continuously.

Try adding the definitions in XF86Config with the following to see if
it works and whether you like it (you may need to play around with them a bit
to suit your taste).

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "touchpad"

        Option          "CorePointer"           "on"
        Option          "SHMConfig"

        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event1"
        Option          "Protocol"              "event"
        Option          "LeftEdge"              "100"
        Option          "RightEdge"             "910"
        Option          "TopEdge"               "100"
        Option          "BottomEdge"            "670"
        Option          "FingerLow"             "6"
        Option          "FingerHigh"            "12"
        Option          "MaxTapTime"            "180"
        Option          "MaxDoubleTapTime"      "180"
        Option          "ClickTime"             "100"
        Option          "MaxTapMove"            "110"
        Option          "EmulateMidButtonTime"  "75"
        Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "40"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "80"
        Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.3"
        Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0.6"
        Option          "AccelFactor"           "0.02"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMinZ"        "45"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMaxZ"        "100"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMinSpeed"    "1"
        Option          "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"	"20"
	Option		"EdgeMotionUseAlways"	"on"
	Option		"UpDownScrolling" "1"
	Option          "TouchpadOff"           "0"

        Option          "LTCornerButton"        "2"
        Option          "CircularScrolling"     "1"
        Option          "CircScrollTrigger"     "2"

        Option          "RTCornerButton"        "0"
        Option          "RBCornerButton"        "0"
        Option          "LBCornerButton"        "3"

        Option          "TapButton1"            "1"
        Option          "TapButton2"            "2"
        Option          "TapButton3"            "3"
EndSection

You will also need to setup X to use this section instead of the standard mouse
on by setting

        InputDevice     "touchpad"

in the ServerLayout section (instead of the standard mouse line which you can
comment out).