Re: Troubles with Intel graphics card and XFree86

On Friday 20 May 2005 20.28, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> >> Almost there, but not quite -- I have installed X.org packages and
> >> apparently I haven't broke any other package. However, when I have
> >> tried to use i810 driver, I have got a lot of "/dev/dri/card* no such
> >> device"
> >
> > Do you have udev installed? What says
> > ls -l /dev/dri/card*
> > ?
>
> No, I didn't -- it is not neither required nor recommended by any
> package I have installed.
>
> Even after installation of udev, I still have to stick with VESA (see
> attached logs). And no, there is nothing in /dev/dri directory. Do you
> have any idea, how to make these DRM modules work?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't have udev installed, and I was
only asking, because I thought, that udev could cause some problems.
But DRI is not essential here so we can leave this for now.

> > BTW DRI is not essential for making X work, so these are only warnings
> > IMHO.
>
> OK, so what I am doing wrong that X doesn't want to start up with i810
> driver?

I'm not sure but here are the relevant differences beetwen your Xorg.log
and mine:
you have:
(II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe B.
(==) I810(0): Display is using Pipe A
mine:
(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
(II) I810(0):   CRT
(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe B:
(II) I810(0):   LFP (local flat panel)
(II) I810(0): Lowest common panel size for pipe B is 1400 x 1050
(==) I810(0): Display is using Pipe B

and later:
yours:
(II) I810(0): Display plane A is disabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is disabled and connected to Pipe B.
(II) I810(0): Display plane A is now disabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is now disabled and connected to Pipe B.
mine:
(II) I810(0): Display plane A is enabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is enabled and connected to Pipe B.
(II) I810(0): Enabling plane A.
(II) I810(0): Enabling plane B.
(II) I810(0): Display plane A is now enabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is now enabled and connected to Pipe B.

This seems to be the only relevant difference.
The main difference in our configuration is that I have MonitorLayout set.
But the strange thing is that it has worked for me even when I did not
have that option.
But since I don't know what is exactly happening I would suggest to try my
configuration, which is:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "i810"
        VideoRam        98304
        Option          "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
        Option          "Clone"         "true"
EndSection

If you use this MonitorLayout I suggest you to set the Clone options too.
If this works for you, then you my try other settings based on the i810
man page.

Good luck,
Zsolt