Re:

Darryl Pierce wrote:

On 5/13/05, Brandon Richards <hobbes34@gmail.com> wrote:
So, when you installed Debian on your Sony it just wouldn't go into X?
What did you do in order to configure it or figure out the problem?
What video hardware does the laptop have and what video server did you
select?

It just wouldnt go into X!  I tried everything I could think of to try.
I went to Nvidia's site, downloaded the drivers for it, recompiled the
kernel, everything.
It actually has an Nvidia GeForce 420 go graphics chip with 32 MBs of
RAM.  I tried gnome and KDE and xdm. Those  were the only video servers
the installation package gave me.

Those aren't video servers. I meant what did you configure
xserver-xfree86 to use as the video driver for your hardware. My
laptop also has the GeForce in it and worked just fine with both the
"nv" driver module but even better with the nVidia specific ones from
Debian (I'm using testing).

i configured xserver-xfree86 to use just about everything i can think of to use. I used 'nv', Nvidia, Nvidia drivers from their website. Which GeForce does urs have though? That matters a lot I have found. I try to play a game on windows called war of warcraft and cant get inside the cities cuz when i go inside the picture goes all pixelated(sp?) on me. I was trying to use the stable version of debian though. It didnt work at all. I might try the unstable version here soon(Ran out of cds). I have tried about every distrobution of linux and I think I like slackware the best. However, I just don't know because I havent gotten debian to run right yet. When I get some money to buy some cds I will probably try to put debian unstable on laptop.

Thanks for everything,

Brandon