Re: Problem with linux-kernel 2.6.11.8 for ibm-thinkpad t40?

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 13:19 +0100, Glyn Tebbutt wrote:
> Without /dev/dsp your not going to get any audio, all your audio apps
> use /devdsp as this is where all your audio gets routed
[...]
> So no /dev/dsp no sound....did 2.6.11.7 work?

I haven't been following the complete thread, but unless you're talking
about OSS, the above is not true. On my system, I do not have /dev/dsp,
yet I do have sound with ALSA. I understand that /dev/dsp is the OSS
device name, which is there if you either use OSS, or OSS emulation with
ALSA. But you can get sound without /dev/dsp.

Koen