Re: Problem with linux-kernel for ibm-thinkpad t40?

Christian Birkholm Clausen wrote:
> Hello,
> I have the exact same problem on my T42. I installed with the
> same sound config as you and the same one worked fine with
> something.
> But now there's just no sound. I recompiled quite a few times changing
> the sound section in the kernel-config, but nothing seems to help.
> I noticed that I get an error message saying: /dev/dsp not existing. I'm
> not sure about this /dev/dsp, haven't figured out what this is and if it
> is significant to our mutual problem.
> Anyone?
> Thanks in advance,
> Christian C.
> Copenhagen - DK
> Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have installed on a IBM-T40 debian unstable.  I had my own compiled
>> linux-2.6.10 working well for quite a while, but I needed to recompile
>> the kernel, so I decided to go for linux-  As usual its
>> compilation was not a problem, and reboot is smooth...  Problems is
>> that when openning xmms and trying to listen anything with sound card,
>> nothing shows up, just silence...
>> I don't know if there's something wrong with ALSA for this new kernel,
>> but after several trials I declined my attempt.  Actually  I
>> recompiled linux-2.6.10, and I have the sound card up and running
>> again.  Too bad I couldn;t get it to work on latest kernel though...
>> Has someone experienced the same?  Any hints?  I'm providing config
>> file I used for linux- just in case...
>> Thanks in advance (if possible please include me with [to] or [cc] so
>> that I get the answer directly)...
Without /dev/dsp your not going to get any audio, all your audio apps
use /devdsp as this is where all your audio gets routed

"/dev/dsp is the digital sampling and digital recording device, and
probably the most important for multimedia applications. Writing to the
device accesses the D/A converter to produce sound. Reading the device
activates the A/D converter for sound recording and analysis."

So no /dev/dsp no sound....did work?