Re: Problem with linux-kernel 2.6.11.8 for ibm-thinkpad t40?

Hello,

I have the exact same problem on my T42. I installed 2.6.11.8 with the same sound config as you and the same one worked fine with 2.6.8.2 something.

But now there's just no sound. I recompiled quite a few times changing the sound section in the kernel-config, but nothing seems to help.

I noticed that I get an error message saying: /dev/dsp not existing. I'm not sure about this /dev/dsp, haven't figured out what this is and if it is significant to our mutual problem.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Christian C.
Copenhagen - DK

Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:

Hello,

I have installed on a IBM-T40 debian unstable.  I had my own compiled
linux-2.6.10 working well for quite a while, but I needed to recompile
the kernel, so I decided to go for linux-2.6.11.8.  As usual its
compilation was not a problem, and reboot is smooth...  Problems is
that when openning xmms and trying to listen anything with sound card,
nothing shows up, just silence...

I don't know if there's something wrong with ALSA for this new kernel,
but after several trials I declined my attempt.  Actually  I
recompiled linux-2.6.10, and I have the sound card up and running
again.  Too bad I couldn;t get it to work on latest kernel though...

Has someone experienced the same?  Any hints?  I'm providing config
file I used for linux-2.6.11.8 just in case...

Thanks in advance (if possible please include me with [to] or [cc] so
that I get the answer directly)...