Re: Re: Frozen touchpad after resume

Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

>Why don't you modify his script to unload the psmouse module before
>hibernating and load it on resume ?

This made no difference - whether the touchpad-related modules are left
loaded, or unloaded before or after suspend, then reloaded. I also tried
unloading the usb modules, as I read that they can be a problem, but to no
avail. I suspect that the root of the problem is the process by which the
devices in /dev/input are recreated (by udev, I guess?) after a
suspend-to-ram; this is still a mystery to me, but I have a few leads.

(I should clarify that I am concentrating on suspend-to-ram only; I have had
some success with suspend-to-disk but it takes longer than a reboot and
scrambles the modules; I'm sure they can be unscrambled with a script, but I
don't think I would use it at that speed!)

>[...] KDE's klaptop daemon is quite enough to
>handle all my acpi/power related issues. Try it.

I am also a KDE user (and fan!); but klaptop suspend/hibernate do not work for
me, the cd drive spins and lights flash on attempted resume but the machine
does not wake up - perhaps, as David Härdeman suggested, my hardware does not
yet have kernel support.

>What Software Suspend version are you using ? Is it a module or compiled in
>into the kernel ?

It's enabled in my kernel config. (2.6.11) - compiled-in, as I don't think it
can be compiled as a module. I also have acpi_sleep enabled.

>[...] What acpi modes does your
>machine support ?

It is a "whitebox" machine, and the manufacturers aren't speaking to me since
I let it slip that I use Gnu-Linux (apparently that is subversive!), so I can
only guess that S1 works (screen blanking is OK), S3 is available because the
indicator flashes correctly during a suspend (only the touchpad fails on
resume), and S4 is hibernate. Naturally, S0 and S5, too. Is this what you are
asking about? And, do you know of a way to test for which modes are
supported?

Thank you for all your suggestions; I will struggle on! :)

John