Re: ATI 9700 Driving Me to InsaNitY

Douglas Clougher wrote:

Hey guess what, yet another ATI cry for help!

Here's the skinny: Have a laptop rather frankenstein'd together from several different sources, but suffice to say the specs are fairly standard:

P4 3.4 Prescott
1gig 3200 mem
AND A DANG ATI 9700 (M11) THAT I CAN'T  GET TO WORK FOR ANYTHING!!!

Currently I'm running Sarge w/ kern 2.6.11.8 [compiled] and Xorg 6.8.[sic] [CVS compile]
I have tried nearly everything I can think of.

DRM is built in (agpgart radeon drivers)
I have lost count of the times I have compiled Mesa
I even stooped to trying the dreaded fglrx (which stores its source in RPM's!!!!!!)

Nothing at all has worked. I have tried building drm as modules [kernel config and CVS] and trying to preload them before x...(no luck here, anyone know the secret?)
I have tried internal and ex agpgart....nada
I have tried almost every iteration of nearly all options that I could think of (suffice to say I've been watching a lot of code crunchin scroll by)

The most I have been able to juice out of this card is some really lame 2d accel with the old ati card driver, but it can't handle transparencies and the other stuff I'm playing with.

What about knoppix?

/J