Re: Ndiswrapper and SID on Inspiron 5160

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 17:48 -0600, Paul Misner wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 16:06, Jordan Smith wrote:
> > Debian uses iwconfig and iwconfig looks at /etc/network/interfaces for the
> > configuration of the adapter, or you can set staticly with "#>iwconfig
> > wlan0 essid 'myssid'".  Neither works for me and I cannot see any access
> > points when I do a "#>iwlist wlan0 scan".  The startup scripts also look at
> > /etc/network/interfaces to see whether dhcp or static configuration are
> > used and the "dhcp" config for the adapter calls "dhclient" with the "ifup"
> > script.
> >
> > I am also using the WinXP driver for the wireless adapter as required by
> > ndiswrapper.  I am just baffled as it everything appears as if it should be
> > working, but I cannot see any access points.
> >
> > ________________________________

Thanks for the help Paul,

Checked out the page and those are the exact same drivers that I am
using with ndiswrapper.  at this point I have finally been able to
connect to my AP, but at the cost of turning on the SSID broadcast at
the AP (something I really don't wish to do because I am a paranoid
security freak), but now I don't seem to be getting any routable traffic
through the interface.  iwconfig shows that the card is connected and I
have link light activity, however I cannot obtain a dhcp address nor can
I configure one statically and gain any connectivity to my local subnet
or anything outside.

Is there something that I need set up in iptables that allows tcp/ip
packets to access the interface or something i need to add to the
internal routing table?  Never messed with linux routing before and I
really don't believe that is the issue, but I am grasping here.  Anybody
out there have any experience getting this laptop working with
wireless?