Re: vga-out + lcd together

Andreas Tille wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, sime wrote:

The multi-head options are different with each video card.  You can try
doing a "man drivername" where drivername is the name of the X11 driver
you are using.  For me, man radeon shows me the dual head options that I
needed to manually add to the X config file.

My bad, it's actually a nvidia chipset. I managed to get in touch with a fellow Toshiba owner, Ulrich Hertlein[1], who also had a nvidia chipset. He spewed out his xorg.conf and I stole the following lines which now does the trick.

    Option "ConnectedMonitor"         "DFP,CRT"
    Option "TwinView"                 "true"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation"      "clone"
    Option "MetaModes"                "1024x768,1024x768"
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "31.5-90"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"

The secrect I believe is the BIOS option which is lightly documented in any Linux Laptop howto/faq, which is something that Ulrich discovered.

While the idea of "multi-head" configuration is clear I think we have
hera e different problem: I do not really use multi-head in the sense of
displaying different things on different (=internal and external) monitor
but just displaying the very same content on both screen - just the "normal"
Laptop behaviour for doing presentations.  This worked on all my previous
Laptops without any spcial configuration of X.

I'm sorry that my email isn't clear, but I am to having the same thing appear on my LCD and CRT/Projector. Which is what the following line in XF86Config-4 provides:

	Option "TwinViewOrientation"      "clone"

"clone" means show the same thing on both screens. It has other options, like RightOf etc.

-sime