Re: vga-out + lcd together

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, sime wrote:

The multi-head options are different with each video card.  You can try
doing a "man drivername" where drivername is the name of the X11 driver
you are using.  For me, man radeon shows me the dual head options that I
needed to manually add to the X config file.

My bad, it's actually a nvidia chipset. I managed to get in touch with a fellow Toshiba owner, Ulrich Hertlein[1], who also had a nvidia chipset. He spewed out his xorg.conf and I stole the following lines which now does the trick.

    Option "ConnectedMonitor"         "DFP,CRT"
    Option "TwinView"                 "true"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation"      "clone"
    Option "MetaModes"                "1024x768,1024x768"
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "31.5-90"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"

The secrect I believe is the BIOS option which is lightly documented in any Linux Laptop howto/faq, which is something that Ulrich discovered.
While the idea of "multi-head" configuration is clear I think we have
hera e different problem: I do not really use multi-head in the sense of
displaying different things on different (=internal and external) monitor
but just displaying the very same content on both screen - just the "normal"
Laptop behaviour for doing presentations.  This worked on all my previous
Laptops without any spcial configuration of X.

Yesterday I observed another interesting effect: When I switched the display
to the external monitor (=beamer, just now verified by using a CRT monitor)
I get an ugly scrambled line on top of the screen (about 50 pixels high) while
the bottom of the screen is hidden.  Even when switching back to the internal
monitor this ugly line remains.  If I switch to text mode als is fine and
restarting X (while I have switched to the external monitor) helps to get rid
of this scrambled line = the screen looks normal.  But if I now switch back
to the internal Line the ugly line occures once more while switching now
back to the CRT does does not remove it any more.

Resume:

   1. I'm missing the "both monitors" option.
   2. Switching from one monitor to the other causes syncronisation
      problems which remains even when switching bakc to the previousely
      fine monitor.
   3. Restarting X solves the synchronisation problem (until you switch
      to the other monitor again.

Hardware:
   Fujitsu-Siemens E-Series Lifebook

   $ lspci -v
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited.: Unknown device 120e
        Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 0
2)
        Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited.: Unknown device 120e
        Flags: fast devsel
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at d0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Standardbildschirm"
        HorizSync       30-60
        VertRefresh     50-75
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Standardgrafikkarte"
        Monitor         "Standardbildschirm"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Any hints

        Andreas.