Re: suspend, power save or saving, hibernate mode in Indpiron 5160

Op di 16-11-2004, om 11:26 schreef Andreas Tille:
> > Not unless you had an event script to activate suspend upon the lid
> > closing event.  See the 'acpid' for one way to handle this.
> Is there any hint how to exactly do this with SoftwareSuspend2?

What he probably means is that you need acpid to receive the acpi events
and call a script. This script would then call the hibernate script
(maybe you can just have the acpi daemon call the hibernate script),
which in turn calls the swsusp2 code.

> I only found the hibernate script which suspends to disk which is
> a nice function for the power button IMHO.  But I'm seeking for the
> equivalent for the old APM function which just switched of my monitor
> and turned of the harddisk once I closed the lid.  Thus it was
> easy to move around with the laptop and very quickly restore your
> session by just pressing the power button.  This "sleeping" modus
> was a very good thing and I wonder how I can get this back with ACPI?

Sounds kind of strange to me, but that's probably because you left some
stuff out of the description of this 'sleeping' modus. If the computer
is still running, there is no way you can guarantee that the harddisk
stays off all the time. What if a program decides to load some file? If
you mean something like suspend-to-ram (which means that the computer
isn't running anymore), then that should be possible with ACPI as well.
However, I didn't get it to function on my machine, but you might have
more luck. Try Google and suspend-to-ram.

Koen