Re: Synaptics Touchpad (again!...) X ok / console ko

Piero Furiesi wrote:
Hi all,

    I read all recent threads about Synaptics Touchpad (*), but I still have a little problem with it: cannot tap in text mode. Well, let me expose it...

* The golden days: when my laptop (HPOmnibook XE3-GF) was running Debian stable, kernel 2.4.18, I succesfully used gpm (device /dev/psaux, type synps2, repeater on) and I could tap; I also created an /etc/gpm-syn.conf file (not documented in gpm package, but see http://www.bisente.com/programas/parches/gpm-synaptics/ficheros/gpm-syn.conf); under X, I simply used /dev/gpmdata (the gpm repeater device). All worked perfectly.

* Today: Debian testing, kernel 2.6.8 (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=Y, CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=Y, CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=Y, CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=Y), mouse recognised at boot time as Synaptics PS/2 on, but.....

If you have CD burner on the computer:
You will not be able to burn CD's in 2.6.8 (at least in 2.6.8-1 kernel) as a normal user. You would have to be root. This problem is not there in 2.6.7 kernel and reported alno not in 2.6.8-3(or4) kernel whose deb files are not available yet IIRC.

->HS