Re: Amilo A1630 - Somebody with this laptop out there

On Thursday 14 October 2004 04:15, Christian Bjälevik wrote:
> Tobias Krais wrote:
> > Hi List Users,
> >
> > I search users with a Amilo A1630 Notebook out there. At the moment I
> > have serveral problems, maybe somebody of you solved one:
> > - IrDA / FIR
> > - Modem
> > - Ralink Wireless
> >
> > I would appreciate to collect your information. I suggest to open a
> > howto for this notebook and I offer space on my Website.
> >
> > Greetings, Tobias
>
> Well, I haven't got THAT notebook, but what I do have is one of Ralinks
> WLAN mini-PCIs (MSI MP54G2). They have a driver for it on
> http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm. The driver is really odd and IMHO
> would need to be GPL to be fixed. I haven't even seen the license, but
> anyway... I have to hack the driver AND/OR the kernel itself to be
> actually be able to use the damn thing.

I have a Cardbus version using a realtech driver (RT2500), and it works
much of the time, but some operations (iwlist scan for one) generate a
segmentation failure somewhere nasty, and you need to reboot after that.
Perhaps we need to collect any patches somewhere accessible, although
it would be far preferable to get it GPL and incorporated into the kernel.

David