Re: Mail on laptop

Op za 02-10-2004, om 20:27 schreef Bob Proulx:
> > I recently acquired a laptop, and ofcourse I installed Debian on it.
> Of course!  :-)

After a regular i386 and a UltraSparc 10, what else could I do...

> Not sure this helps you but you can tell debconf to send mail to a
> different address.
>   export DEBCONF_ADMIN_EMAIL=addr@example.com

That helps for debconf, but does not solve the more general problem.

> I actually use it to turn off those messages entirely.
>   export DEBCONF_ADMIN_EMAIL=""
> When you install a security upgrade for ssh to a few hundred machines
> and each and every one wants to say the same thing to you it gets a
> little tedious.  :-)

Sounds like spam from your own machines :-)

> But really the only two users that you care about are yourself and
> root so the simplest thing (what I would do) is to create aliases for
> those two users and forward that mail to the address you want.

Right, but the simplest MTA's (nullmailer, ssmtp) don't support that as
far as I know, and there doesn't seem to be anything in between these
simplest MTA's and stuff like exim or postfix.

The obvious reply to that would be 'there's a great opportunity for you
to contribute something to the world', but unfortunately, my programming
skills nowadays are limited to Matlab and some scripts for personal use.

So, I guess I'll just have to install exim or postfix then.

Koen