Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

Thanks for all the help

rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2004-07-20 22:01 /dev/dsp0

That looks correct now.

However, my advise would be to first try if you can get any sound from the command line.

Do you have any packages installed that go with your sound drivers (like alsa-base and alsa-utils if you use the ALSA drivers)?

yes, i've installed those.

See if you have a program like 'aplay' or 'esdplay' on your system (you can find out by e.g.: $ whereis aplay aplay: /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/man/man1/aplay.1.gz

Next try and play some .wav file, e.g.:
$ aplay example.wav
$ esdplay example.wav
You can probably find some .wav files by doing:
$ find /usr/share -name *.wav

well, I can get sound via cdplayer and XMMS. And I can use soundrecorder (it records and plays back), but sometimes eg XMMS doesn't work after I've used soundrecorder or vice versa.Then what I do is go into XMMS options-preferences and choose an Output Plugin until it works.(OSS works, ALSA seems to work but produces no sound, ESound gives an error about not being able to open audio)

When I try to get sound via commandline, it seems to be playing, but I get no sound:

$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/gnibbles/laughter.wav

#Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/gnibbles/laughter.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate #8000 Hz, Mono

Also, I've been able to play a DVD using Totem Movie Player, but no sound came out. Now, since fixing the sound for the CD-player, I thought the movie sound will now also be okay. But if I try to run totem I get the following error:

(totem:3151): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

any ideas about what might be going on?

(GnomeMeeting druid test audio still doesn't work)