Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

Frans Pop wrote:
> Wendy Leigh Vandoolaeghe wrote:
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2004-07-20 22:01 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp
>
> That will never work. This is a symbolic link that links to itself.

Agreed.  That is the problem!  How did that happen?

> Try the following (as root):
> # rm /dev/dsp
> # ln -s /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp

That assumes that /dev/dsp0 exists.  Under what conditions would one
expect that?  It does not on any of my machines of various sorts.  I
am thinking this is a particular thing on your machine and not
something that generally exists on machines.

The MAKEDEV script can be used to create these devices.  That is
probably the easiest for most people.  This is what I would recommend
since it will fix up other associated devices which may have been
corrupted by whatever broke the dsp device.

  MAKEDEV audio

Or you can always create them by hand with mknod directly.

  mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
  chown root:audio
  chmod 0660

Bob