Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 01:17:57PM +0100, Wendy Leigh Vandoolaeghe wrote:
> well, I can get sound via cdplayer and XMMS. And I can use soundrecorder
> (it records and plays back), but sometimes eg XMMS doesn't work after I've
> used soundrecorder or vice versa.Then what I do is go into XMMS
> options-preferences and choose an Output Plugin until it works.(OSS works,
> ALSA seems to work but produces no sound, ESound gives an error about not
> being able to open audio)
>
> When I try to get sound via commandline, it seems to be playing, but I get
> no sound:
>
> $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/gnibbles/laughter.wav
>
> #Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/gnibbles/laughter.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit,
> Rate #8000 Hz, Mono
>
> Also, I've been able to play a DVD using Totem Movie Player, but no sound
> came out. Now, since fixing the sound for the CD-player, I thought the
> movie sound will now also be okay. But if I try to run totem I get the
> following error:
>
> (totem:3151): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> any ideas about what might be going on?
>
> (GnomeMeeting druid test audio still doesn't work)

Is it solved yet? If not, I'll try to shed some light on it.

Layers:

* application
* gstreamer-sinker (sink-oss, sink-alsa, sink-esd)
* user-land soft mixer (ArTS, esound, dmix)
* kernel-level driver (oss, alsa, alsa with oss emulation)
* soundcard (obviously)

You should choose one kernel-level driver and one user-land mixer.
According to this, configure your application and the GNOME environment.

E.g. I used alsa with oss emulation, esound as the mixer, no gnome
applications (which takes gstreamer out of the equation) and therefore have
all applications set to use their esd-output plugins.

Technically happens is that unless your hardware (which I doubt, on a notebook)
support hardware-level mixing, only one process can open /dev/dsp. I.e., only
one process can output sound. However, if this process is e.g. the esound
sofware level mixer, then more applications can produce sound simultanously.
Under the condition, they communicate with esd's socket instead of /dev/dsp.

What happens in your case, I believe, is, that different applications that you
test use different output methods. aplay, for instance, is short for alsaplay,
and will only use the alsa-output method. Which effectively conflicts with
having esound running.

So plan your "tech stack", configure it appropriately, enjoy.

As to an Audio CD playing, this is always being mixed directly in the
soundcard. If you take any volume programs, you have one widget for CD, one
for output, one for PCM. Output is clear, CD sets the level of the CD channel.
The PCM channel is the one used, when you play a movie or a mp3, or your IM
client makes a beep. So CD is a completely different game.

ArTS is, from our point of view, the same stuff as esound, just preferred by
KDE.

I have no real experience with dmix, so please cut me some slack :).

I am not sure, where in GNOME's control panel/center you can configure the
gstreamer sinkers, but I am sure you will find it in GConf. I expect that
the Totem player uses the gstreamer infrastructure.

Hope this helps. If you are still confused, just ask.

j.

"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk of any
management." -- Dilbert
:wq