Re: Sleep on Dell 510m

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:25:55PM -0700, Michael Perry wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:54:32 -0400, Adam Garside <asg@gimp.shacknet.nu> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:59:41PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> > >  If I make echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep it starts to go sleeping, but it
> > >  fails.
> > Well, Dell BIOS's are notoriously broken. You might try some of the
> > things at acpi.sourceforge.net or use software suspend.
> >
> > asg
> >

> One thing I learned that may be of value on a non-dell laptop was that
> I had a device or two that would fail to suspend when I did an acpi
> suspend event.  I just read over your email and noticed this line:
>
> Could not suspend device 0000:00:1d.7: error -5
>
> Perhaps if you compared this to running lspci you could locate the
> device that  is giving problems?  I've seen USB and some other
> controllers which seem to have problems going into suspend.

  Nice, with that (removing uhci_hdc and ehci_hdc modules) I can enter
  in suspend mode successfully, but when I go out of it, my screen is
  not recovered.

  I'll check a bit more later, as having to restart the computer each
  time I try, is not nice.

> Also,
> you don't state what kernel you are running.  On a thinkpad t23 laptop
> with the latest bios and power management upgrades, the kernel acpi
> would fail and leave me with kernel panics all the time or the suspend
> would just fail.  I run debian unstable here so I downloaded a vanilla
> 2.6.8.1 kernel and then patched it with the acpi.sf.net latest acpi
> patch.  I also have tried softwaresuspend2 and am still working on
> that one.  With the latest kernel and the latest acpi sources patched,
> my T23 sleeps just fine.  I do have one device which will not suspend
> correctly which is the linuxant driverloader module.  I have to remove
> it by running a command line tool and then putting the laptop to
> sleep.  I also found this little command line tool called acpitool
> which is very handy for this stuff.  I don't recall the url but you
> should be able to find it on google.

  Ooops. I'm running stock Debian kernel 2.6.8-1-686. I'll have to try
  also with a vanilla kernel and those patches.

  Thanks a lot for your hints.

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org