Re: Sleep on Dell 510m

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:54:32 -0400, Adam Garside <asg@gimp.shacknet.nu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:59:41PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> >  If I make echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep it starts to go sleeping, but it
> >  fails.
> Well, Dell BIOS's are notoriously broken. You might try some of the
> things at acpi.sourceforge.net or use software suspend.
>
> asg

One thing I learned that may be of value on a non-dell laptop was that
I had a device or two that would fail to suspend when I did an acpi
suspend event.  I just read over your email and noticed this line:

Could not suspend device 0000:00:1d.7: error -5

Perhaps if you compared this to running lspci you could locate the
device that  is giving problems?  I've seen USB and some other
controllers which seem to have problems going into suspend.  Also,
you don't state what kernel you are running.  On a thinkpad t23 laptop
with the latest bios and power management upgrades, the kernel acpi
would fail and leave me with kernel panics all the time or the suspend
would just fail.  I run debian unstable here so I downloaded a vanilla
2.6.8.1 kernel and then patched it with the acpi.sf.net latest acpi
patch.  I also have tried softwaresuspend2 and am still working on
that one.  With the latest kernel and the latest acpi sources patched,
my T23 sleeps just fine.  I do have one device which will not suspend
correctly which is the linuxant driverloader module.  I have to remove
it by running a command line tool and then putting the laptop to
sleep.  I also found this little command line tool called acpitool
which is very handy for this stuff.  I don't recall the url but you
should be able to find it on google.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com