Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

Hi
thanks for the help.

  ls -l /dev/dsp
  crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2002-03-14 14:51 /dev/dsp

I get
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2004-07-20 22:01 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp

and when I want to adduser wlv to audio it seems that wlv is already part of audio.

furthermore, I can use soundrecorder successfully to record and play back. I first used "lsof" to see who's using /dev/dsp. it was used by a esd process which I killed and then it worked, but still when I want to use GnomeMeeting (during the configuration druid) it tests for audio, and the test fails. Then it can't play back. Some people say I should get ALSA, but I think I've already apt-get install all the alsa packages.

Any ideas?

--
Wendy