Re: Tools to handle ACPI events?

From: "Joe Emenaker" <joe@emenaker.com>
> Bart Samwel wrote:
>
> >Funny you should ask, there's just been a discussion on this on debian-
> >devel. I'll be building these shared scripts. I'll let you know when
> >they're done.
> >

> Well, after reading the discussion that I found, it seems that your
> scripts are more aimed at enabling/managing the laptop-mode in the newer
> 2.6 kernels, where my scripts are aimed at mapping ACPI events (sleep
> button pressed, switching from AC to battery, lid closed/opened) to
> tasks (reset system clock from hwclock, switch to text console, initiate
> software suspend, etc).

Then your task is more difficult than Bart's.  Yes, Thinkpads and Inspirons
both have Lids, but they don't identify them the same way.  As someone else
pointed out, the actual physical buttons should be derivable from the
/proc/acpi tree, but the various events are entirely machine dependent.  I
wish you both luck, but it's a hugely annoying mess that has burned out more
than a couple of developers before you.
--
derek