suspend to disk while in X

Hi,

I recently got a Dell 600m laptop.  I installed linux on it, but I ran into a
few snags that are pretty much keeping me from leaving linux installed on it.

It has an ATI Radeon mobility 9000 graphics card, which I successfully have
working in X.  However, when I'm in X,  and close the lid (which suspends to
disk via echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep), the machine goes to sleep fine -- but
when I wake it up, after it boots, my X display is all garbled.  After a
second or two, it reboots a second time, and then is ok.  It's very annoying,
though, to have to boot twice -- its both time consuming (>1 min) and power
consuming.

If I have X open, but switch to a console before closing the lid, it will only
have to resume once.  Then I just ctrl+alt+F7 to get my X session back
cleanly.  This leads me to believe it has something to do with the video
driver.  I'm using the free one that comes with X.

Has anyone else had and/or fixed this problem?  I can't seem to figure it out.
And "just switch to a console before you close the lid" isn't the answer I'm
looking for :)

Thanks,
	- Matt