2.6.6 on Dell Latitude D600

Hello everybody,
it is now a while that I have been trying to compile and
install a 2.6 kernel with no luck. I am currently
running a 2.4.26 kernel and my boot loader is grub.
My linux partition has the ext3 fs on it.

The error I get is always:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I found this seems to be a pretty common error, but I
couldn't figure out the fix.

The strange thing:
the precompiled kernel-image-2.6.6 works fine!
(at least I can boot with it)
but there is no way I can boot with a self-compiled kernel.

Now the questions:
-is there any way I can find the .config file used to generate a
kernel-image package?
-is there anybody who can send me the .config file for a 2.6 kernel?

You could suggest to simply stick with the precompiled kernel, but
for one thing I'd like to configure the kernel the way I want,
and besidesI have problems with the dos file systems, with the volume
keys (anyone got them working?) and probably other small things
I haven't tested yet.

Any help would be super-appreciated.
Thanks!
--